Wednesday, October 21, 2009

back to the little things

It's nice to get back to the little things I was talking about before some of the "big things" hit. This week I took the time to prepare a nice dinner for my family. It was so weird because I cook dinner most of the week nights, but this time it was different. If you begin to think that this woman is going a bit "balmy" after you read this, rest assured, I'm really okay.

But this time I took my own advice (about being careful with the little things) and decided to prepare this dinner with love. I know it sounds hokey, but there it is. My little experiment had an effect on me. I wanted to make something extra delicious and "homey" cause this is the last week my 20-something daughter, Jennie, will be with us. She is following her destiny to Dallas.

I started earlier in the day preparing a turkey dinner with our special cornbread/broccoli dish, with stir-fry veggies, sizzled with olive oil and shallots (mmm, smells so good). I wanted the smells to meet each person at the door, instead of my usual throw-it-together an hour before we eat. I find that to be stressful for everyone, and not enjoyable for me. So this time, I decided to enjoy the prep work. So, while I was working I was pondering all the good times I've had with my daughter this year, and how much I love her and appreciate who she is.

Anyway, before I get sappy, and start slobbering. . . I was sort of applying this love thing to the dinner, being careful with each dish and utensil as if this was some sort of ritual - a love-sending one. I had everything ready on time; the turkey was actually "resting" (before you carve it- 20") I was so calm and proud and expectant. But guess what?

I forgot that everyone wasn't going to be there for supper. My husband had a focus group, and Gracie came in late, so the rest of us sat down to eat, and then everyone had to dash away, leaving me with all the clean up. But I didn't mind; I was still in that zone I was telling you about, and so lovingly and carefully, cleaned and scrubbed all the dishes. Later, Jennie, came in and apologized because she knew what I had envisioned hadn't happened.

"It's okay, Jen," I told her because I was the one who benefitted from all the "love" preparations, and it still felt good. Maybe I had made the dinner to comfort me. I would be ready the next night to prepare another love feast with the left-overs when all the family could be there.

So I started the process all over again the next night. Again, I wanted it to be ready when all the troops hit home. I knew they'd be hungry. And so another beautiful dinner was ready about 6:00 (earlier than usual) when everyone hit the roost, steaming and streaming lovely smells, . But do you know what happened?

Everyone had to leave as soon as they walked in the door, one to get boxes for packing, one to get the truck and one to drive the other car home. All my family was in a "tizzy" as they say down home, and scurried away. At first I was soooo put out, and told my husband so, but then I remembered the love thing, and realized I could de-bone the part of the turkey while they were gone to make a casserole for the next night, our last one with Jen living in the house.

They all came back and we sat down together. But everyone was stressed and hungry and conflict was in the air, and the beautiful dinner suddenly wasn't so appetizing. Before you feel sorry for me though, let me tell you, my family is most appreciative of the meals I prepare. I know they recognize my labor. But here's the coolest thing. I found a little treasure in the Bible that I want to share with all the cooks out there everywhere. Our reward will go far beyond the miniscule appreciation we get for preparing the meals. LISTEN to THIS!
"Who then is the faithful and sensible slave whom his master put in charge of his household to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that slave whom his master finds so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you, that he will put him in charge of all his possessions." Matt. 24:45 ff.

Ha! We cooks of the world who feel so menial will have a special place of honor in heaven. That means God notices all the little labors of love we produce in the kitchen. I think somehow God loves food. But even if that's not true, I know He has a special place in his heart for the cooks.
Even if that reward wasn't out there, I just noticed how much of a reward I got for lovingly preparing those meals this week. I felt good about myself and those I was serving. Just one of the little things that make a big difference.

So we'll try again tonight. You can be sure I'll talk to Jesus about it - I know He understands the importance of the "last supper." Stay posted, I'll let you know next week how it goes.

1 comment:

Like a Lily said...

:)

(also, this post makes me hungry)