Sunday, November 8, 2009

Please tell me what you think (or maybe not)

We're far past the last supper, which I lovingly prepared (for the 3rd night in a row, see below). The "eagle has landed" meaning Jennie is now settling into her new nest in Dallas, TX as Jill's roommate. Everything went so well.

I'm now settled down into finishing this con-farn'd book called, WordSpeak: His Word, Your Voice. I'm about to pull my hair out! Who knew it was so hard to write a book? I thought it was perfectly finished and then the editor entered the picture and took it all apart and told me to put it back together better. Well, this is what I have to say about that . . .

Thank God for editors. She was correct about what she saw in the "perfectly penned" words I had written earlier. A lot of it needed to be thrown out, condensed and evaluated. It's amazing what we can get away with when no one else is looking over our shoulder. In the privacy of my own mind, I thought it was tre' wonderful.

Indeed, the editor praised the content highly. In fact, I had gotten quite a bit of encouragement about the book when another editor reviewed it. But, this time, I got the reader's perspective and that is, after all, who I am trying to reach.

I think there is a far-reaching lesson here. Don't we all think we are just fine the way we are when there is no outside interference? I know I did. But I am so thankful God put someone in my life to pull me up a bit short and say, "Let's think this over." Those of you who will be forced to read the book one day because you are my friends and family (because you have to!) will be ever so grateful for the scalpel-wielding editor. I believe she saved me from humiliation.

So the little lesson is this. Welcome the people who criticize you. You can't do life successfully alone. Hopefully they will have some grace to soften the blows, but consider this: maybe they are sent by God to clean you up a bit, or make you more useable, or just to polish the facets of your diamond. I have to go pray for a teachable spirit now. . .

And get back to work . Ugh.

No comments: